Waste and Recycling
“Avoiding waste is the one thing we can all do to help save the planet”Sir David Attenborough
What you can do…
Globally we all throw an astonishing amount of items away every year. The estimated total for households of Swanage is 6000 tonnes annually. A high percentage of this can be avoided, for example 30% of food is wasted currently and and 350,000 tonnes of clothing are thrown in general waste each year in the UK.
Avoiding waste has the following benefits:
- Saves you money – consider the fact that everything you throw away cost you money.
- Reduces carbon emissions – dealing with waste has a high energy cost.
- Reduces resource consumption – reusing, repairing, sharing what we already have prevents consumption of fresh resources.
Encouraging our community to reduce waste was the initial drive in the creation of Sustainable Swanage. Our steering group was set up as part of the application to achieve Plastic Free Town Status from the initiative run by Surfers Against Sewage, and we became the 4th town in Dorset to achieve this in July 2019. More info on the project page.
This page is dedicated to how to reduce your waste here in Swanage. The community are working hard to reduce their waste and there are many initiatives already going on to make it easier for people to do so and many more things we can do too.
Things you can do to reduce your waste:
Every time you reach for the general or recycling bin, think about how you could avoid throwing that item away and you will be amazed by how quickly your bin will start to shrink. The main things we throw away are:
- Packaging – can you reduce this?
- Disposable single use items – can you reuse?
- Food – try a menu plan, eat what you buy, buy what you eat.
- Clothes – can you repair, refashion, donate, or sell?
- Appliances – do you need it, can it be repaired?
- Use up what you already have and be creative with it – do you have ideas to share?
LITTER FREE DORSET
We are Litter Free Dorset – Land, Coast and Sea campaigning to reduce litter and waste as well as improve water quality across Dorset.
PLASTIC FREE BUSINESSES
Local group ‘Sustainable Swanage’ was formed in May 2019 with one of its first targets to achieve
the Plastic Free status. The group is made up of a range of stakeholders including Swanage Town
Council, Litter Free Coast and Sea, Swanage Chamber of Trade and Commerce and local residents.
Refill connects you to places to eat, drink and shop with less waste.
WHERE TO RECYCLE
Document showing where to take items for recycling or reuse in and around Swanage